DATE: May 2nd, 2017
Mark Kaufman – FAR-West President – firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeanette Lundgren – FAR-West Vice-President and 2017 Conference Co-Chair - email@example.com
Janet Dukes - FAR-West Secretary and 2017 Conference Co-Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
Leslie van Winkle - Publicist, FAR-West 2017 - email@example.com
Early-Bird Registration is Now Open for
14th Annual FAR-West Acoustic Music Conference
Serving the Greater West and Beyond
October 5 – 8, 2017 At the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Bellevue WA
The annual FAR-West Acoustic Music Conference is now open for early-bird registration. Through May 31, Folk Alliance members can register for $160, and non-members for $185.
Special discounts apply for Canadian attendees, as well as qualifying house concerts, small venues, arts organizations, and DJ’s. The Larman Scholarship helps musician attendees with financial help for registration. For more info: https://www.far-west.org/registration-2017.html
About the FAR-West Conference
The FAR-West Conference is the gathering place for music and arts communities from the Greater West and Beyond. FAR-West draws members from California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Alaska and Hawaii, and in Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon and Northwest Territories. The FAR-West conference relocates every two years; this is the second year Bellevue, Washington hosts the event.
In addition to seeing first-rate entertainment at the official showcases and venues choice concert, participants connect, collaborate, perform, learn, and celebrate their diverse talents. Highlights include:
- Venues' Choice Concert presenting favorite acts from popular stages.
- Two juried Official Showcase Concerts starring top acoustical acts.
- Best of the West (BOTW) Award Luncheon
- Pre-conference Wednesday Night Open Stage at Dusty Strings in Seattle.
- Workshops and panels for the arts and music professions.
- Networking Center for promotion and information exchange.
- Late Night Private Guerilla Showcases (PGS) for musicians.
- The New Voices Showcase for conference first-timers.
- Sunday Afternoon Storytelling Expo introducing outstanding storytellers.
About the Best of the West (BOTW) Award Luncheon
Each year FAR-West honors individuals and organizations active in and fostering folk music and its community. This year’s honorees are:
- Best of the West Performer Award: Alice Stuart
- Best of the West Ambassador Award: Peter Langston and Janet Peterson / Puget Sound Guitar Workshop
- Best of the West Organizational Achievement Award: Sisters Folk Festival
The food at the Bellevue Hyatt is very good and your ticket is included with your registration, so you’re guaranteed a seat at the table for this tasty portion of the conference.
The Music Rarely Stops
When the sun goes down the guitars tune up. Each night two floors of the hotel transform into performance spaces that resonate with music from dozens of Private Guerilla Showcases (PGS).
- Registered attendees will receive notices of how to sign up for showcases when those rooms are ready for scheduling.
- Applications to host a PGS are available at https://www.far-west.org/pgs2017.html
- The New Voices showcase room is a late night PGS on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- The Millsaps Coffeehouse is a staged mic'd afternoon showcase on Friday and Saturday.
- Spontaneous after-hours jam sessions bring new and old friends together.
You do not need to be a Folk Alliance Member to register for the conference, nor to qualify for the New Voices Showcases, general Private Guerrilla Showcases, or the Susanne Millsaps Coffeehouse. However, membership qualifies for early-bird registration and discounts across the FAR-West region and the entire Folk Alliance organization.
Everything you need to know about the upcoming conference is here, including deadlines and merchant discounts: https://www.far-west.org/far-west-2017.html
To claim your “First Timers Guide” go to https://www.far-west.org/farwest-guide.html
If you are involved in the musical and arts professions and want a deeper kinship with the larger world of acoustic music, the 2017 FAR-West Conference is the place to be. Register now to take advantage of early-bird rates, then reserve the dates on your October calendar.