Press Release: FAR-West 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: 26 March 2018
Janet Dukes – FAR-West President – firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeanette Lundgren – FAR-West Vice-President and 2018 Conference Chair - email@example.com
Carey Appel - FAR-West Secretary - firstname.lastname@example.org
Early-Bird Registration is Now Open for
15th Annual FAR-West Music Conference
Serving Western North America: US, Canada and Beyond
October 11 – 14, 2018 at the Warner Center Marriott,
Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, CA
#farwestconnects #folkforall #folkforyou
The annual FAR-West Music Conference is now open for early-bird registration. Through May 31st, Folk Alliance members can register for $160, and non-members for $185.
Special discounts apply for Canadian attendees, as well as qualifying Presenters (house concerts, small venues, arts organizations, and DJ’s). Click here for more registration info. In addition, The Roz & Howard Larman Memorial Scholarship aids musician attendees with financial help for registration.
About the FAR-West Conference
The name "FAR-West" is an acronym which stands for: Folk Alliance Region-West
Participants connect, collaborate, perform, learn, network, and celebrate their diverse talents. While the majority of the conference is reserved for registered participants, the general public is welcome to attend our first-rate entertainment at the official showcases, venues choice concert, and the storytelling expo. Some highlights of our conference include:
- Venues' Choice Concert presenting favorite acts from popular local stages
- Two juried Official Showcase Concerts featuring top acoustic acts
- Best of the West (BOTW) Award Luncheon
- Pre-conference Wednesday Night Open Stage
- Workshops and panels for the arts and music professions
- Networking Center for promotion and information exchange
- Late Night Private Guerilla Showcases (PGS) for all attendees
- The New Voices Showcase for conference first-timer musicians
- The Susanne Millsaps Coffeehouse is a small stage afternoon showcase on Friday and Saturday
- Sunday Afternoon Storytelling Expo introducing outstanding storytellers
About the Best of the West (BOTW) Award Luncheon
Each year FAR-West honors individuals and organizations active in and fostering folk music and its community in our region. This year’s honorees will be announced in May 2018. More Information about Best of the West and its criteria can be found here: https://www.far-west.org/
Your ticket for the Best of the West Award luncheon is included with your registration, so you’re guaranteed a seat at the table for this inspiring and tasty portion of our conference.
The Music Rarely Stops
When the sun goes down, the musical instruments and voices tune up. Every night, each individual room on at least one floor of our conference hotel transforms into performance spaces that resonate with music and stories from dozens of Private Guerrilla Showcases (PGS).
- Registered attendees will receive notices of how to sign up for PGS showcases when those rooms are ready for scheduling.
- Applications to host a PGS are available at https://www.far-west.org/pgs
- The New Voices showcase room is a late night PGS on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- The Susanne Millsaps Coffeehouse is a staged mic'd afternoon showcase on Friday and Saturday.
- Spontaneous after-hours jam sessions bring new and old friends together.
You do not need to be a Folk Alliance Member to register for the conference, nor to qualify for the New Voices Showcases, general Private Guerrilla Showcases, or the Susanne Millsaps Coffeehouse. However, FAI membership qualifies for early-bird registration and discounts across the FAR-West region and the entire Folk Alliance organization.
Everything you need to know about the upcoming conference is here, including deadlines and merchant discounts: https://www.far-west
To claim your “First Timers Guide” and learn more about our conference and our organization, please go to https://www.far-west.org/far
If you are involved in the musical and arts professions as a performer, presenter, business support person or simply a dedicated fan and want a deeper kinship with the larger world of acoustic music, the 2018 FAR-West Conference is the place to be. Register now to take advantage of early-bird rates, then reserve the dates on your October calendar. We are looking forward to seeing you!