Folk Alliance Region West (FAR-West), the western regional chapter of Folk Alliance International, fosters and promotes traditional, contemporary and multicultural folk music, dance and related performing arts in the western parts of North America. This area includes but is not limited to California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Hawaii, and Alaska.
Our MISSION is to strengthen the ecology for folk music and build stronger artists, presenters and audiences. Our annual conference builds on that mission with a community and program that includes education, showcases, and networking.
FAR-West seeks to strengthen and advance organizational and individual initiatives in folk music and dance through:
- Education -- To increase understanding of the rich variety, artistic value, cultural and historical significance, and continuing relevance of folk music and dance among educators, media and the general public.
- Networking -- To provide a bridge to and from folk music and dance organizations and needed resources, and to help those organizations link with their constituencies.
- Advocacy -- To influence decision makers and resource providers on the state and local levels, insuring the growth of folk music and dance.
- Field Development -- To support and encourage the development of new and existing grassroots folk music and dance organizations.
- Professional Development -- To strengthen the effectiveness of folk music and dance organizations by providing professional development opportunities.
FAR-West, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, was incorporated in 2003 in California and is run entirely by volunteers. We encourage you to learn more and to get involved by contacting us.